Special Events Coordinator
- Coordinate with private and community partner requests to have events at the Mercado. Help them with logistics and payment. Facilitate tenant’s involvement as needed.
- Work with tenants to create and implement a schedule of recurring events at the Mercado. Summer – focus on outdoor activities with large crowds. Winter – focus on smaller, regular events hosted inside.
- Support organization-wide planning and coordination of both small and large events throughout the year, such as the Annual Gala and Latino Home Fair.
- Respond to questions by walk-ins during business hours.
- Triage Mercado email, phone, and google alerts.
- Support Communications & Events Manager with content creation and marketing materials.
- Coordinate selling market merchandise on progress and payments with tenant partners.
- Report issues with cleaning, maintenance and upkeep of non-tenant spaces to property management.
- Assist in Kitchen Patrol as needed.
- Attend required team meetings and trainings
- Other duties as needed
Skills & Experience:
- Passionate about micro-enterprise, food and working in the community
- Positive, motivational personality
- Can work well on a dynamic small team
- Excellent at organizing people to accomplish activities
- Enthusiastic about creating a place for community
- Clear and consistent communicator
- Is highly organized and loves straightening out the details Event coordination experience
- Bilingual in English and Spanish, with experience working in the Latino community
- POC, Bicultural, or DACA recipient candidates are highly encouraged to apply.
This is a part-time nonexempt position that may expand over time. Local travel may be necessary. Evening and weekend hours may be required. All positions at Hacienda CDC are at will and subject to a three month probation period and performance evaluations.
Program/Department: Administration/Portland Mercado
Supervisor: Communications & Events Manager
Status: Part time (.5 FTE)/Non-Exempt
Compensation: $17.25 – $23.00
Salary & Benefits:
Salary commensurate with experience. Hacienda offers, voluntary: life insurance, long-term disability, accidental death/dismemberment, Employee Assistance Program, and a 40I (K) option.
Closing Date: Open until filled
About Portland Mercado located on 72nd Foster Road:
The Portland Mercado celebrates the Latino contribution to our region, honors our growing diversity and serves as a bridge to unite cultures and communities in Portland. Opened in early 2015 by Hacienda CDC, the Portland Mercado and Micro Mercantes Kitchen have helped small businesses grow while bringing together diverse cultures and has become a recognized part of the Portland tapestry.
Hacienda CDC wishes to engage with the Special Events Coordinator to ensure the continued success of the Portland Mercado. The Portland Mercado has created opportunity for 19 full-time businesses and has also welcomed numerous temporary vendors and performer during more than 40 cultural events held throughout the year. Situated in the first Latino public market in the city, the Portland Mercado, offers business advising, training, an affordable commissary kitchen and sales opportunities for low-income entrepreneurs from all over the world – and from right here in Portland. We have had numerous entrepreneurs enroll in our program that have gone on to open food carts, sell at New Seasons and more. We are a small, creative team that has lots of energy.
Note: This job description is intended as a guideline only, and does not limit in any way the duties or responsibilities of any employee. Nothing herein shall be construed as a contract of employment. Expressed or implied. All employment is terminable at will. With or without cause.
Hacienda CDC is an Equal Opportunity Employer!