Position Title: Resident Advocate
Program/Department: Youth & Family Services (YFS)
Supervisor: Director of Youth & Family Services
Status: Full time/Nonexempt
Compensation: $18.00 – $21.00/ hour
Hacienda CDC is a Latino Community Development Corporation that strengthens families by providing affordable housing, homeownership support, economic advancement and educational opportunity.
Position Summary: Hacienda Community Development Corporation’s housing portfolio consists of nine low-income apartment complexes, with a total of 381 affordable housing units. Seven of these properties are located in the Cully neighborhood of N.E. Portland, one is in North Portland, and one located in Molalla. The Resident Advocate will bridge the gap between property management and residents, reducing barriers to stable housing, while increasing the social capital of our communities and supporting the mission of Hacienda CDC.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Property Management Liaison
- Identify resident issues; provide links to resources that will assist residents with continued housing
- Educate residents about property rules and policies to ensure housing stability for all
- Assist residents in the mediation of conflicts with other residents or property managers
- Conduct new tenant orientations, introducing Hacienda CDC and its programs
- Facilitate quarterly meetings with residents to maintain communications and identify community concerns
- Collaborate with partners to provide education workshops on topics such as energy savings, financial capabilities, housekeeping, safety and any other expressed or implied needs of tenants
- Maintain continuous line of communication at each property regarding Hacienda events and classes, leasing rules, resources, etc.
- Coordinate and host community events and celebrations such as National Night Out
- Conduct outreach to recruit and coordinate residents for input and feedback on neighborhood initiatives, housing developments, and other projects
- Work with partners like the Office of Community and Civic Life to improve community safety
- Represent Hacienda CDC at community and partner meetings
- Maintain a daily log of resident interactions
- Produce required reports in an accurate and timely manner
- Maintain resident services database
- Complete any other tasks assigned by the Director of Youth and Family Services
- Work collaboratively with Asset Manager and other team members when appropriate
Qualifications & Skills:
- Bilingual; ability to write, read and speak clearly and effectively in both English and Spanish
- Possesses strong problem-solving skills
- Must be adaptable to a flexible work schedule
- Express compassion and empathy for the concerns of residents, Hacienda CDC staff, and community members
- Ability to work as a team member, establish priorities, effectively prioritize tasks, remain non-judgmental, and show willingness to learn new skills though formal and informal education
- Capacity to develop professional relationships with partners and community leaders
- Willingness to learn housing rules and regulations such as Fair Housing, the Americans with Disabilities Act and reasonable accommodation
- Ability to handle sensitive and confidential information with discretion
- Ability to work with diverse populations and identify needs
Physical Demands: Position requires ability to travel to a variety of Hacienda properties; dexterity necessary to operate a computer with substantial repetitive motion of wrists, hands, and/or fingers; the visual acuity to read and prepare/analyze data and figures; ability to express/exchange ideas by means of the spoken word; perceive the nature of sounds at normal speaking levels with or without correction; majority of work performed indoors.
Salary & Benefits: Salary commensurate with experience. Hacienda offers medical, dental, vision, life insurance, long-term disability, accidental death/dismemberment, paid holidays, accrual of vacation and sick leave, personal day, Employee Assistance Program, and a 40I (K) option.
To Apply: For consideration, all external applicants must send cover letter and resume via Indeed.com. Internal applicants may direct cover letter and resume to Hiring Manager or Human Resources.
Closing Date: Open until filled
Note: This job description is intended as a guideline only, and does not limit in any way the duties or responsibilities of any employee. Nothing herein shall be construed as a contract of employment, expressed or implied. All employment is terminable at will, with or without cause.
Hacienda CDC is an equal opportunity employer!