Payroll and Benefits Specialist
Position Title: Payroll & Benefits Specialist
Supervisor: Chief Financial Officer
Status: Non-exempt, full-time
Physical Strength: Light
Updated Date: September 15, 2021
Hacienda CDC is a Latino Community Development Corporation that strengthens families by providing affordable housing, homeownership support, economic advancement and educational opportunity.
The Payroll and Benefits Specialist is responsible for processing employee payroll, day to day administration of the employee benefit plans, and other accounting and human resources support. This position provides excellent customer service as well as analytical and technical support in the delivery of these programs and services and for maintaining sensitive or confidential information in a professional manner.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Enter, maintain, process and review monthly payroll processing for approximately 50 employees at one location, to ensure timely and accurate processing of payroll transactions including salaries, hourly pay, benefits, bonuses, garnishments, taxes and other deductions.
- Reconcile payroll reports prior to transmission, and work with CFO to verify all payroll funding sources.
- Verify timekeeping records such as hours worked, PTO and paid leaves; consults with employees and/or supervisors about any discrepancies
- Communicate with payroll processor (GNSA) for any payroll related issues/requests
- Ensure accurate and timely processing of payroll updates including new hires, terminations, and changes to pay rates, etc.
- Prepare, process and distribute final paychecks
- Ensure compliance with federal, state, and local payroll, wage, and hour laws and best practices.
- Conduct or assist with record audits and mandatory reports, payroll audits, and other compliance reviews.
- Assistance with other accounting tasks, as needed, including preparation of annual audit schedules and other miscellaneous projects.
- Administer new hire process to include payroll and benefits data entry into system.
- Process timely new hire benefits enrollments ensuring that data has been accurately relayed to all benefits carriers and/or benefits consultants.
- Ensure orderly, complete and accurate filing of both electronic and physical personnel records files.
- Conduct benefits onboarding sessions with new staff.
- Support and assist employees with updating their electronic personnel information into the GNSA self-service application, such as new addresses, emergency contacts and benefits status changes to medical, health, dental, life, disability, 401(k), beneficiaries.
- Ensure timely status change updates and terminations are handled and relayed to benefit carriers
- Respond to employee inquiries regarding their payroll and benefits issues
- Reconcile monthly benefits statements
- Maintain organizational charts, updating based on employee status changes.
- Assist other areas of Human Resources as needed such as recruitment, employee events, employee recognition, and others.
- Respond to employment verifications, employment department inquiries, and other third-party requests.
- Serve as the HRIS data expert for Hacienda, ensuring accuracy of all employee data and records
- Develop and run routine and custom data reports to check accuracy and completeness, as well as for a variety of internal and external reporting purposes as needed and as requested
- Provide information, guidance, training and reports to Human Resources, Accounting staff and managers upon request.
- Support implementation of expanded capabilities of our HRIS to include new hire process, benefits enrollment, performance management, employee self-service, applicant tracking, etc.
- Perform or assist with other duties and functions, including non-payroll accounting tasks, as necessary or as assigned.
- Some occasional evening and weekend hours may be required to meet deadlines.
Ability to perform the essential job duties with or without reasonable accommodation and without posing a direct threat to safety or health of employee or others. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
- High School Diploma/GED is required. Associate’s or Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- One or more years of experience processing payroll is required.
- One or more years of experience supporting benefits administration is desired.
- Experience with HRIS databases is desired
- Accounting background desired
- Experience with Great Northern Staff Administrators (GNSA), Abila – MIP Accounting is a plus
- Certification or background in Human Resources is a plus
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Working knowledge of payroll best practices
- Knowledge of federal and state regulations relating to payroll and human resources desired
- Responsive and team-oriented communicator who follows up and follows through
- Ability to take initiative, prioritize tasks, and meet deadlines consistently; strong organizational and time-management skills
- Able to be flexible and adapt to change within a growing entrepreneurial work environment
- Highly accurate with a strong attention to detail
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Strong written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills. Must be able to interact and communicate positively and effectively with individuals at all levels in the company
- Cheerfully and calmly handles interruptions and competing priorities; flexible, adapts well to changing needs.
- Must have the ability to handle sensitive situations and maintain confidentiality
- Remain humble, teachable and open to coaching, and assume the best intent in others
- Embrace the inclusiveness of ethnic, cultural and socioeconomic perspectives
- Assume personal accountability and responsibility for the role we play in fulfilling Hacienda’s mission
- Must have excellent English verbal, written and oral communication skills.
- The ability to speak, write, and understand Spanish is preferred, but not a requirement for the position.
Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos. Ability to write simple correspondence. Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to external work partners, and other employees of the organization.
Job requires specialized computer skills including MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook. Must be adept at using various applications including database, spreadsheet, report writing, online research, word processing, presentation creation/editing, communicate by e-mail and use scheduling software.
Position is sometimes sedentary, but also requires mobility to client and partner sites and office headquarters; dexterity necessary to operate a computer with substantial repetitive motion of wrists, hands, and/or fingers; the ability to lift up to 20 pounds occasionally; the visual acuity to read and prepare/analyze data and figures; ability to express/exchange ideas by means of the spoken word; perceive the nature of sounds at normal speaking levels with or without correction; majority of work performed indoors.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet to moderate.
Note: This job description is intended as a guideline only and does not limit in any way the duties or responsibilities of any employee. Nothing herein shall be construed as a contract of employment, expressed or implied. All employment is terminable at will, with or without cause.
Hacienda CDC is an equal opportunity employer.