Microenterprise Developer -Experienced Small Business Adviser
Portland Mercado’s business incubator is looking for a new bi-lingual business adviser! Situated in Portland’s first Latino public market, the program offers business advising, training, an affordable commissary kitchen and sales opportunities for low-income, immigrant entrepreneurs, and entrepreneurs of color. We’ve launched and scaled businesses that have opened food carts, gone on to sell at New Seasons, and much more. We are a small, energetic, creative team that is part of Hacienda CDC, a celebrated, well-established organization supporting Portland’s Latinx community.
Our Microenterprise Developers are responsible for a program that supports micro-entrepreneurs as they start and grow, improving their abilities to operate and market their businesses. The Microenterprise Developer will be the ‘center’ of the program for the businesses they work with – connecting them with the other services in the program (such as the kitchen or matched savings), referring them to resources in the community (such as Food Innovation Center or SBDC classes), coaching them as they set goals for their businesses, and advising them in certain areas in which the adviser feels knowledgeable (ex. food science, product development, recipe costing). The person in this position will be a leader with a strong interest and robust grasp of food business fundamentals and a strong connection with Portland’s Latinx community.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Support the Advising Team’s one on one advising efforts and support small businesses.
- Advise a caseload of businesses (approx. 15-20), meeting with each several hours/month.
- Document case-notes and reporting in online database (Outcome Tracker).
- Support ongoing projects such as Monthly Seminars and Bi-lingual Business Boot Camps.
- Attend required stakeholder and community meetings, as needed.
- Come to 1 hour bi-weekly advising meeting to collaborate with other advisers.
- Participate in “All-Hands-on-Deck” Mercado events and projects, as available.
- Attend monthly All Staff Meetings when directed.
- Commit to incorporating diversity, equity, and inclusive practices in all aspects of work, attending all mandatory workshops, and asking for clarification from HR or the DEI Committee when needed.
Qualifications & Skills:
- 2-3 years of experience in small business development, food industry innovation, and/or coaching work.
- An excellent communicator with experience working in small teams.
- Bilingual English and Spanish speaker.
- Passionate about working with, and thoroughly understanding, Portland’s Latinx Community.
- Wants to be in a dynamic, fast-paced environment, enjoying start-ups.
- Positive, motivational leader.
- Highly organized, has extensive experience with tracking data and reporting.
- Likes people and is great at connecting them with resources and experts.
- Demonstrated knowledge of social justice issues and the dynamics of social change; strong commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Willingness to help with other duties as needed.
Physical Demands: Position is a mix of sedentary and ambulatory; some intermittent standing; dexterity necessary to operate a computer with substantial repetitive motion of wrists, hands, and/or fingers; the visual acuity to read and prepare/analyze data and figures; ability to express/exchange ideas by means of the spoken word; perceive the nature of sounds at normal speaking levels with or without correction; majority of work performed indoors. Local travel may be necessary. Some evenings and weekends are required.
Closing Date: Open until filled
Note: This job description is intended as a guideline only, and does not limit in any way the duties or responsibilities of any employee. Nothing herein shall be construed as a contract of employment, expressed or implied. All employment is terminable at will, with or without cause.
Job Type: Part-time
Salary: $19.00 to $23.00 /hour
- Business Development: 2 years (Preferred)
- Multilingual: 2 years (Preferred)
- Portland, OR (Preferred)
- One location
Hacienda CDC is an equal opportunity employer!