Early Childhood Educator
- Position Title: Early Childhood Educator
- Program/Dept.: Portland Niños/Youth & Family Services
- Supervisor: Youth and Family Services Program Manager
- Supervises: N/A
- FLSA Status: Non-exempt, Full Time/40 hour week
- Compensation: 16.00 – 17.50 per hour
- Physical Strength: Light
- Updated Date: August 19, 2020
Hacienda CDC is a Latino Community Development Corporation that strengthens families by providing affordable housing, homeownership support, economic advancement and educational opportunity.
The Early Childhood Educators provide information, support and encouragement that parents need to help their children develop optimally during the crucial early years of life. Using the “Parents As Teachers curriculum,” the Early Childhood Educator will serve Latino families in Multnomah County with children 0-5 years of age as well as currently pregnant women. This is done by providing education in the form of home visits, group meetings, screenings, and linkages to a network of resources for parents and children.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide parent education through regular home visits and group meetings implementing the Parents AsTeachers curriculum for children 0-5 years old
- Manage the required caseload providing services and case management within Multnomah County
- Actively recruit families to participate in the program
- Complete all required documentation regarding home visits, attendance records for group meetings and other events, screening summaries, and all essential records required by the program, in a timely and comprehensive manner
- Become qualified to administer developmental screenings and support families in seeking appropriate resources based on the results of screenings when needed
- Participate in reviewing and analyzing results of evaluation tools used by program
- Engage in on-going learning about issues related to cultural responsiveness, Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
- Demonstrate an appropriate level of knowledge about what promotes optimal parent-child interaction and infant, toddler, and child development
- Complete organizational reports and maintain record-keeping procedures as appropriate
- Assess family needs and provide developmentally appropriate information, guidance, and support to parents
- Some occasional evening and weekend hours may be required for meetings or events, and to meet deadlines
- Perform other duties and functions as necessary or as assigned
Ability to perform the essential job duties with or without reasonable accommodation and without posing a direct threat to safety or health of employee or others. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
- High school/GED plus 3 years’ relevant experience (paid or volunteer) or a combination of relevant work experience and some college education
- One year or more of experience working with young children and their parents within multi-cultural settings is required
- Prefer “Parent as Teachers” Certification or other early childhood education certification
- Case management experience is a plus
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Able to manage and maintain caseload of 16 – 20 participants efficiently
- Multi-cultural work experience with Latino community, and knowledge and understanding of Latino culture required
- Strong interpersonal skills including a high degree of emotional intelligence
- Demonstrated knowledge of community resources preferred
- Proven written and oral communication skills in English and Spanish required
- Ability to develop mutually trusting and respectful relationships with parents as a proven model for parent-children relationships
- Access to a car for home visits and other local travel is required.
- A commitment to the mission of Hacienda CDC
- Ability to adhere to organizational and confidentiality protocols
- Ability to maintain professional maturity and demonstrate respect to all
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with team members, and co-workers across the organization
- Strong administrative and organizational skills including calendar management and coordinating lots of client follow ups
- Highly organized and skilled at managing multiple tasks and projects simultaneously
- Able to meet strict deadlines on a consistent basis
- Able to take initiative and work effectively independently, following through on assignments with minimal direction and identifying potentially more effective methods of accomplishing work
- Able to be flexible and to adapt to change and uncertainties
- Must have excellent English verbal, written and oral communication skills
- The ability to speak, write, and understand Spanish is required
Job requires computer skills including MS Word, Outlook and a proprietary database. Must be skilled at using various applications including word processing, database, e-mail and scheduling software.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
Must have a valid driver’s license and automobile insurance coverage according to Hacienda CDC policies.
Position is sometimes sedentary, but also requires mobility to client and partner sites and office headquarters; dexterity necessary to operate a computer with substantial repetitive motion of wrists, hands, and/or fingers; the ability to lift up to 20 pounds occasionally; the visual acuity to read and prepare/analyze data and figures; ability to express/exchange ideas by means of the spoken word; perceive the nature of sounds at normal speaking levels with or without correction; majority of work performed indoors.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This job operates in a professional office environment and in client homes when holding visitation. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet to moderate..
Note: This job description is intended as a guideline only, and does not limit in any way the duties or responsibilities of any employee. Nothing herein shall be construed as a contract of employment, expressed or implied. All employment is terminable at will, with or without cause.