Communications & Events Manager
Position Title: Communications & Events Manager
Supervisor: Director of Philanthropy
FLSA Status: Full time/Exempt
Compensation: $62,000 – $68,000
Physical Strength: Light
Hacienda CDC is a Latino Community Development Corporation that strengthens families by providing affordable housing, homeownership support, economic advancement and educational opportunity.
The Communications and Events Manager leads all marketing and communications efforts for Hacienda CDC and provides event planning support for our two major annual events: the Latino Home Fair and Annual Fundraising Event. The creative and energetic person in this position will develop an annual communications plan and implement communications strategies that effectively describe and promote Hacienda’s work and services through a variety of means including: public relations, website, graphics, brochures, video, social media, newsletters, and other promotional writing or collateral.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Develop and implement an annual Communications Plan based on Hacienda’s strategic priorities.
- Manage Hacienda’s social media platforms including Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, LinkedIn, Web Sites, and Twitter to build an engaged following.
- Design and create content – videos, photos, flyers – to keep marketing materials up-to-date. Coordinate with outside vendors or contractors as needed.
- Create relationships with the media; produce media materials including press advisories; press releases; facilitate interviews and stories; write talking points and prepare staff for media appearances.
- Work with Director of Philanthropy to plan and implement Hacienda’s annual fundraising event and with the Economic Opportunity Department to implement the annual Latino Home Fair. Plan additional events as required (including ground breaking or grand opening celebrations).
- Oversee the design and inventory of marketing and event materials.
- Develop, coordinate, and publish newsletter for external audience.
- Manage email communications and HCDC’s email list.
- Manage HCDC and Mercado websites. Update web sites with new content, and assist others with same.
- Design and coordinate the publishing of the Annual Report.
- Encourage and coordinate content creation with partners and coworkers.
- Work closely with departments to ensure Communications are aligned with development, marketing, recruitment, and outreach goals.
- Some occasional evening and weekend hours may be required for meetings or events, and to meet deadlines.
Will recruit and manage communications interns, event volunteers, and an internal Communications Committee.
Ability to perform the essential job duties with or without reasonable accommodation and without posing a direct threat to safety or health of employee or others. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
- A Bachelor’s degree, or an equivalent combination of education and/or experience is required
- Minimum three years of experience in communications, marketing and event management required
- A minimum of one year of supervisory experience or experience managing volunteers required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Experiential knowledge in marketing, communications, and event coordination.
- Expertise in graphic design, video creation, photography, website design and maintenance.
- Real and extensive experience working in the Latino community.
- Proficient with a wide variety of social media platforms especially Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, LinkedIn and Twitter.
- Strong writer and storyteller, able to convey Hacienda’s mission with heart and impact, and create meaningful and consistent messaging across multiple channels.
- Excellent at organizing people to accomplish activities.
- Responsive and team-oriented communicator who follows up and follows through.
- Able to work with limited supervision, make decisions and resolve practical problems independently within scope of responsibility.
- Strong interpersonal communication and relationship-building skills; high emotional intelligence, communicates positively, proactively and collaboratively.
- Holds a strong work ethic, yet embraces work-life balance and self-care with a long-term view toward sustainability within the position and organization.
- Ability to take initiative, prioritize tasks and meet deadlines consistently; strong organizational and time-management skills.
- Able to be flexible and adapt to change within a growing entrepreneurial work environment
- Critical thinker with strong analytical, problem-prevention, and problem-solving skills.
The ability to speak, write, and understand Spanish is required. Must have excellent English written and verbal communication skills.
Job requires specialized computer skills including MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, Adobe Illustrator, InDesign, Photoshop. Lightroom, Website editing, and Email marketing. Must be adept at using various applications including database, spreadsheet, report writing, online research, word processing, presentation creation/editing, communicate by e-mail and use scheduling software.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
Valid Driver’s License and access to car preferred, but not required.
Position is sometimes sedentary, but also requires mobility to client and partner sites and office headquarters. The position occasionally requires hauling and set up of tables, booths, tents and other equipment for events. Dexterity necessary to operate a computer with substantial repetitive motion of wrists, hands, and/or fingers; the ability to lift up to 40 pounds occasionally; the visual acuity to read and prepare/analyze data and figures; ability to express/exchange ideas by means of the spoken word; perceive the nature of sounds at normal speaking levels with or without correction; majority of work performed indoors.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet to moderate.
Note: This job description is intended as a guideline only and does not limit in any way the duties or responsibilities of any employee. Nothing herein shall be construed as a contract of employment, expressed or implied. All employment is terminable at will, with or without cause.
Hacienda CDC is an equal opportunity employer!