Census Outreach Specialist
- Program/Dept.: Youth and Family Services
- Supervisor: Director of Youth and Family Services
- Supervises: N/A
- Compensation: $20/hour
- Schedule: Evenings & Weekends,
- Status: Temporary (March-July 2020), one full-time position (40 hours/week)
- FLSA Status: Non-exempt
- Physical Strength: Light
- Updated Date: 2/11/2020
Hacienda CDC is a Latino Community Development Corporation that strengthens families by providing affordable housing, homeownership support, economic advancement and educational opportunity.
Hacienda is pleased to open a Census Assistance Center to aid in efforts to reach hard to count populations in the 2020 Census. The Census Outreach Specialist(s) will be responsible for daily center operations as well as community engagement, outreach and other duties and described below.
This position will implement strategies that mobilize people to participate in the census, which will ultimately bring resources to underserved populations. Incumbents in this position will use their fluency in either Spanish or Somali, as well as English to reach targeted groups.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Carry out day to day operations of Hacienda’s Census Assistance Center which will operate primarily on evenings, nights, and weekends
- Conduct outreach throughout NE Portland, especially locations where potentially undercounted populations reside
- Serve as advocate for Census participation, educating communities about its importance
- Collaborate with Hacienda’s Communications Team to create flyers, social media content, and other promotional materials
- Conduct necessary attendance data tracking and entry into Hacienda’s database
- Lead the planning of a Census Assistance Center Grand Opening event in collaboration with other Hacienda teams
- Attend #WeCountOregon Ambassadors Summit and other relevant trainings
- Clearly articulate services offered by Hacienda and partner agencies and direct clients to said resources
- Performs other duties and functions as necessary, or as assigned
Ability to perform the essential job duties with or without reasonable accommodation and without posing a direct threat to safety or health of employee or others. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
- A minimum of two years of experience in community engagement in a non-profit environment, or related customer service or public relations experience is required
- Background in community outreach is desired
- Experience creating flyers, social media content and other marketing collateral is a plus.
- Non-profit background is a plus
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Must have excellent interpersonal communication skills, including the ability to foster trust, inform and empower individuals served
- Demonstrates cultural competence and sensitivity
- Naturally collaborative and able to convene appropriate parties
- Uses strengths-based and trauma informed approaches in working with community
- Self-motivated, energetic and resourceful individual who enjoys working with diverse populations
- A cooperative manner and ability to work as part of a team
- Must be detail oriented and have strong organizational skills
- Willingness to work a schedule that is primarily late afternoons, evenings and weekends
- Must have excellent English verbal, written and oral communication skills in English, as well as either Spanish OR Somali.
Job requires specialized computer skills including MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook. Must be adept at using various applications including database, spreadsheet, report writing, online research, project management, word processing, presentation creation/editing, communicate by e-mail and use scheduling software.
Position is sometimes sedentary, but also requires mobility to client and partner sites and office headquarters; dexterity necessary to operate a computer with substantial repetitive motion of wrists, hands, and/or fingers; the ability to lift up to 20 pounds occasionally; the visual acuity to read and prepare/analyze data and figures; ability to express/exchange ideas by means of the spoken word; perceive the nature of sounds at normal speaking levels with or without correction; majority of work performed indoors.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet to moderate.
Note: This job description is intended as a guideline only and does not limit in any way the duties or responsibilities of any employee. Nothing herein shall be construed as a contract of employment, expressed or implied. All employment is terminable at will, with or without cause.
Hacienda CDC is an equal opportunity employer!