Expresiones After School Program Coordinator
Position Title: Expresiones After School Program Coordinator
Program/Dept.: Youth and Family Services
Supervisor: Youth and Family Services Program Manager
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt/ 40 hours a week
Compensation: $19.50 – 21.50/hour DOE
Physical Strength: Light
Updated Date: September 1, 2021
Hacienda CDC is a Latino Community Development Corporation that strengthens families by providing affordable housing, homeownership support, economic advancement and educational opportunity.
The Expresiones Program Coordinator will collaborate with colleagues from the Expresiones program, Youth and Family Services Manager, Hacienda CDC staff, and partners to develop and implement educational and supportive activities for the parents and youth who participate in Hacienda’s after-school program, Expresiones. Through outreach and relationship building, the Expresiones Program Coordinator will promote Hacienda’s after-school program to parents and serve as a cultural and linguistic liaison between parents and schools.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Actively recruit youth living at Hacienda housing sites and the neighboring community around the program site to participate in the after-school program
- Conduct daily after school and summer programming on site
- Coordinate and lead monthly parent meetings and skill building classes at each program site
- Create and manage partnerships to provide events, activities and on-site classes for youth and youth caregivers, as needed
- Engage in on-going learning about topics related to youth work and Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
- Connect youth caregivers to resources that will support them in understanding the U.S. school system
- Facilitate relationships between youth caregivers and schools to increase school involvement
- Make resource connections for youth caregivers as necessary; refer to Resident Advocate when applicable
- Recruit and manage volunteers, including youth caregivers, to support in the after-school program
- Administer yearly program evaluation assessments
- Complete data/information collection (monthly activity and attendance reports) and input using Hacienda CDC’s database
- Complete general office duties related to position (reminder phone calls, data entry, team meetings, timesheets, reimbursement, etc.)
- Complete and submit, in a timely manner, all required reports to meet contract compliance
- Expresiones Program Coordinator reports to the Youth and Family Services Manager
- Performs other duties and functions as necessary or as assigned
- Some occasional evening and weekend hours may be required for meetings or events, and to meet deadlines.
Ability to perform the essential job duties with or without reasonable accommodation and without posing a direct threat to safety or health of employee or others. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
- High school/GED plus 3 years’ relevant experience in community organizing, social services, education or similar (paid or volunteer)
- College degree or some college education preferred
- Relevant experience can be managing volunteers, working in a school setting with youth or in an administrative capacity, community engagement
- One year or more of experience working with youth within multi-cultural settings is preferred
- Experience with popular education and community outreach methods that support youth engagement
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Knowledge of local resources that support the unique needs of families served
- Skilled at listening, developing rapport and working cooperatively, creatively, and patiently with colleagues
- Self-motivated, energetic and resourceful individual who enjoys working with diverse populations
- Responsive and team-oriented communicator who follows up and follows through
- Ability to take initiative, prioritize tasks, and meet deadlines consistently; strong organizational and time-management skills
- Able to be flexible and adapt to change within a growing entrepreneurial work environment
- Demonstrated knowledge of social justice issues and the dynamics of social change; strong commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Willingness to work a flexible schedule, including afternoon/evening work, weekends (at least once per month)
Must have excellent English verbal, written and oral communication skills including a comfort with public speaking.
The ability to speak, write, and understand Spanish or Somali is required.
Job requires specialized computer skills including MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook. Must be adept at using various applications including database, spreadsheet, report writing, online research, project management, word processing, presentation creation/editing, communicate by e-mail, use scheduling software, and teleconferencing applications.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
Valid Driver’s License and access to car a plus
Must have reliable transportation to travel to service site
Position is sometimes sedentary, but also requires mobility to client and partner sites and office headquarters; dexterity necessary to operate a computer with substantial repetitive motion of wrists, hands, and/or fingers; the ability to lift up to 20 pounds occasionally; the visual acuity to read and prepare/analyze data and figures; ability to express/exchange ideas by means of the spoken word; perceive the nature of sounds at normal speaking levels with or without correction; majority of work performed indoors.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet to moderate.
Note: This job description is intended as a guideline only and does not limit in any way the duties or responsibilities of any employee. Nothing herein shall be construed as a contract of employment, expressed or implied. All employment is terminable at will, with or without cause.
Hacienda CDC is an equal opportunity employer.